25 Hour Emergency Service
glass of water near filters

Which Water Filtration System is Right for Me?

Better Water for the Home

Running water is an undeniably important component of your home and everyday life inside it. From washing your hands to making meals, the quality of your water should be a priority, but oftentimes, it’s an afterthought!

Water filtration is something every homeowner should learn about and consider. So, read on to learn why filtered water is essential and which filtration system is right for you.

Benefits of Water Filtration

Safer Drinking Water

While the United States has one of the safer water supplies in the world, you never truly know what is in the tap water you’re drinking and using to cook with. Water that comes directly from treatment plants may still contain:

  • Sediment
  • Calcium and manganese (though not hazardous, these can change the taste of water)
  • Bacteria and parasites
  • High chlorine levels
  • Lead

Better Plumbing

Minerals and chemicals within unfiltered water, such as calcium and iron, can take a toll on your plumbing. Over time, they can cause corrosion and mineral build-up on pipes and fixtures, wreaking havoc that could cost you big time with repairs. This is why you may see white-green substances on your showerhead and faucets.

Cleaner Laundry

The same minerals that are working against your plumbing can also affect your laundry room. The hardness of the water may cause your clothing to feel rough to the touch, and even begin to fade their bright colors over time.

Save Money and the Environment

Of the 50 billion plastic water bottles purchased in the U.S, only about 38% of them are recycled. The remaining 62% end up in landfills or polluting the environment. With a water filtration system, you’ll have quality drinking water right in your home, eliminating the need to purchase bottled water. Cleaner water, cleaner planet, and more money in your wallet!

Water Filtration Options

Now that you know why you should invest in water insulation, let’s dive into the options available to you.

Reverse Osmosis

Unfiltered water is pushed through a filtering membrane in a reverse osmosis system. This membrane catches the heavy metals, fluoride, bacteria, parasites, and pesticides you don’t want to consume, while still allowing the clean water to pass through.

A reverse osmosis system has a designated faucet for filtered water only that can be installed under your current sink or refrigerator. Rarely is a reverse osmosis system installed throughout the entire home, as the flow is not strong enough to reach every corner.

Everpure

Similarly to the reverse osmosis system, the Everpure filter system has a filtering chamber that removes contaminants from water that passes through it. These systems are most effective at reducing chlorine, sediment, and volatile organic compounds.

Everpure offers a whole house water filtration system for your comfort throughout your whole plumbing system.

Filtered Pitchers

If you’d rather start small, there’s a filtration option for you! Brands like Pur and Brita make water pitchers with filters built in, and they are a great way to keep clean water right inside your refrigerator. They come in a variety of sizes, and filters are easily replaceable when needed.

While not as strong as a reverse osmosis system or stronger filtration, these pitchers are still capable of removing chemicals like chlorine, pesticides, and metals. Additionally, they remove the bad taste and odor from tap water.

Water Filtration in Largo

Your licensed plumbing professionals at McGill Plumbing & Water Treatment, Inc. are the right team to trust with your filtration needs. With a wide range of filtration products, we’re here to help you find the right system for your home and family’s needs! Take a look at our services, or contact us today to get your water on the right track!